Whether Lingua Latina is the best Latin book for middle school

• Whether Lingua Latina is the best Latin book for middle school

Posted by Eric Maurer on December 11, 2021 at 6:39 pm

Trained on Wheelock and the grammar method, I resisted the 1956 classic, Lingua Latina, when Trivium School adopted it in 2001. With experience, I grew to appreciate the immersion method and enjoyed seeing students happier and enjoying Latin class more. We also saw the # of gold medals on the National Latin Exam triple.

Donna Seidman replied 7 months, 3 weeks ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Miriam Makowiecki

December 14, 2021 at 6:54 am

Trained on Wheelock’s too. And after those years of study, and then a few years teaching, I was really disappointed with my lack of fluency with the language. I did some research and found it was a VERY common lament. So when I started teaching again (online, to homeschoolers) I came with a very different pedagogy. I didn’t have the confidence or skills to use much spoken Latin in my lessons but I’m working on this. I did use Lingua Latina, along with some other resources. I didn’t have enough classes to see real results from Lingua Latina, but I don’t doubt the efficacy of comprehensible input. And this is what I would use with kids probably around age 10 (I would start Latin earlier than this but use LL around age 10)

• Donna Seidman

August 30, 2023 at 8:59 am

Taught by the lovely Dr. LaFleur of Wheelock’s and after spending years teaching Ecce Romani, transitioning to LLPSI was a breath of fresh air. My fluency as well as my students’ soared. During the transition I was in grad school translating ancient texts and had a much easier time after spending time in LLPSI as well. I would love to share resources and see what others are doing with the text. I’ve taught up to Cap. XXIII and have many resources for the earlier chapters. Could sure use some for the later chapters though.