Of the many amazing resources…

• Of the many amazing resources…

Posted by Robert Woods on September 29, 2021 at 10:09 am

…that came from the mind and pen of Mortimer J. Adler, I was astonished years ago to discover The Gateway to the Great Books. It is a ten volume set that was designed by many of the minds behind The Great Books of the Western World collection. In addition to having a syntopicon (similar to the GBWW–I’ll explain in later post) it could easily stand as a wonderful complimentary readings set with any 7th-12th grade Classical education. I am currently designing several seminars for 7th-12th grades related to the social sciences. I will keep this community posted on that progress.

Let me know if you have any questions about this great ten volume resource.

Robert Woods replied 2 years, 6 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Lisa Mayeux

September 30, 2021 at 5:12 pm

@robert-woods , I can attest to the value of this set. We have used it and it has served our family/students very well as a resource and entry to the Great Books. Thank you for mentioning it!

• Robert Woods

Organizer
      October 5, 2021 at 8:43 pm

Thank you for your reply. So glad for your confirmation of the benefit of this set.

Peace

• Steve Skrabacz

October 2, 2021 at 2:47 pm

I was not aware of Gateway. Thanks.

Is the Gateway syntopicon a subset of the GBWW’s (with 102 entries)? (no need to answer on this thread, but would love to hear more when we meet…)

Also, I’ve been reading Adler’s “six great ideas” book, where he explores Truth / Goodness / Beauty and Liberty / Equality / Justice. I’ve found it interesting how “equality” was not on the original list of 102 great ideas, but Adler seems to make up for that in his later writings.

“equality” is timely for me, as my daughter just started in the Aequitas program at Wheaton…so I’m grappling myself with that word and its 21st century implications. See https://www.wheaton.edu/academics/academic-centers/center-for-urban-engagement/programs/aequitas-program-in-urban-leadership/

• Robert Woods

Organizer
      October 5, 2021 at 8:57 pm

You are most welcome. The Gateway syntopicon is connected with the GBWW syntopicon. One other tool I have found useful is the Inventory of Terms where more than 4,000 terms are connected to the 102 Great Ideas. This is where you would locate terms such as equality and equity and relate them to justice.

May the Lord bless you in your search and research.

Peace