Restful Learning without undermining goals

• Restful Learning without undermining goals

Posted by Rachael Stahr on October 7, 2021 at 1:11 am

How do you encourage a restful learning environment without giving students the impression that accomplishing work within a specified amount of time is unimportant? Specifically, I teach a Senior Thesis course (using Rhetoric Alive: Senior Thesis). Many students don’t take the deadlines for topics and research seriously and end up cramming or redoing major portions at the end of the year.

Deb Ponder replied 2 years, 2 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Shellie Barker

November 14, 2021 at 8:17 pm

Hello. This is a great question. Although I am not educating the higher ages right now, this has always been a question that I have always pondered. The quest to train my children to appreciate the importance of their education and to value the virtues of diligence and self-control has always been one of my most significant goals in our homeschool. This in particular has been a weekly, if not daily, battle.

If I am not continuously reminding them of their responsibilities and assignments, then they just would not do it. Period. So the struggle begins. The battle rages. Restful learning is out the window. Restful, contemplative learning is so foreign in our home, that I as the teacher and mom, can become disappointed and discouraged. That is why I am here.

I would love to know an answer to this. Thanks.

• Deb Ponder

February 13, 2022 at 10:03 pm

We struggle here being part of a community where there are expectations to complete work each week not just for accountability, but naturally also to foster discussion when we are together as a group. It’s challenge being a part of a community becuase I feel we get caught up in “checking th list’ rather than truly fostering interest or diving deeper. It also doesn’t allow much grace for when we have a challenging week and my kids just don’t get the work done. I am fine with them not getting it done, but there is the natural shame that comes from the classroom atmosphere when the child knows they are the ONE who did not do the work.

I also concur with the other comment where my kids would not get the work done if I didn’t stay on top of them. This creates more anxiety in the home and takes us far away from a place of rest.

Would love to know how families do scholé when in a community with expectations and only so many weeks to cover materials.