Lesson 6, Topic 3
- What insight from this lecture do you find most interesting or helpful and why?
- Why is Odysseus described as “twice dying”? How is the journey of The Odyssey a kind of death for Odysseus?
- What does Odysseus find out about kleos from the shade of Achilles? How do the episodes of the sirens and Odysseus’s crew dying with his name on their lips hammer home this lesson to Odysseus?
- How do both Odysseus’s arrogance and his attachment to the arms of war betray his men in the Scylla story? Why does Dante assign Odysseus a specific place in hell because of this incident? How does this idea tie in with Homer’s theme of the proper way to face mortality?
- What does the image of the hearth smoke represent? How do you turn a man who seeks immortality on the battlefield into a man who is content just to see the smoke rising up from his homestead? (Give a few instances!)