Lesson 8, Topic 3
- How can you ensure that your focus on good reading instruction also imparts to students a deep love for story?
- What reading strategies do you already implement regularly in your teaching? Have you witnessed the effectiveness of this strategy?
- What reading strategies have you not yet, or seldom, implemented? Discuss how you might begin implementing these strategies.
- Discuss the ways in which you or your organization chooses texts for elementary students. Could you improve the way you make selections?
- Discuss what it means to teach reading with books that are “just beyond the reach” of a student’s reading level.
- Do your students spend at least 20 minutes a day reading independently? What might you be able to do to ensure that students spend adequate or ample time reading independently?