Teaching Formal Logic
LessonsLesson 1: Teaching Logic Restfully with Rigor (Preview Content)4 Topics|1 Quiz
Lesson 2: Logic as a Core Discipline (Preview Content)3 Topics|1 Quiz
Discussion: Logic in One's Life and Study (Preview Content)2 Topics|1 Quiz
Lesson 3: Formal Logic vs. Informal Logic4 Topics|1 Quiz
Lesson 4: The Classical Origin and Medieval Recovery of Logic4 Topics|1 Quiz
Lesson 5: Formal Logic and the Three Acts of the Mind4 Topics|1 Quiz
Lesson 6: Translating Arguments into Categorical Form4 Topics|1 Quiz
Lesson 7: Relationships of Opposition4 Topics|1 Quiz
Lesson 8: Relationships of Equivalence4 Topics|1 Quiz
Lesson 9: Categorical Syllogisms3 Topics|1 Quiz
Lesson 10: Determining Validity of Syllogisms3 Topics|1 Quiz
Lesson 11: Terms and Definitions3 Topics|1 Quiz
Lesson 12: Developing the End-of-Year Project4 Topics|1 Quiz
End of Course TestEnd of Course Test: Formal Logic1 Quiz
I. Preparing to teach a scholé course
(1) Why is it necessary to for a Discovery of Deduction educator to be engaging with the real world (politics, theology, philosophy, literature, movies, poetry, podcasts, etc.)?
(2) How are you “stocking” your mind?
(3) What kind of student are you?
II. Developing your pedagogical approach
(1) Do you wonder anything? What are you curious about? What discoveries have you made in the last week, month, or year?
(2) How is the classical learning process reflected in how you learn?
(3) Do you continue to be a classical student? If not, why not? And if so, in what ways?
III. Training your students to ask the right questions
(1) Is the myth about questions (the claim that there are no bad questions) true or false?
(2) What are the right questions to ask?
(3) How does learning to ask the right questions lead a student to discovering the argument?
(4) What executive function skills should be expected from the classical student?
IV. Miscellaneous questions
(1) Why is formal logic regarded as an art?
(2) In what ways does logic enable us to learn or study virtually any subject?
(3) What is the difference between an art and a science?
(4) What is the difference between formal and informal logic?