Assignments and Action Steps
Create a student self-diagnosis questionnaire containing some introspective questions particularly pertinent to the students’ discovering:
(1) Whether they engage with content on this level
(2) A range of ways they could possibly engage with the content on this level
(3) Numbers assigned to the increasing (or decreasing) ability level of engagement. Provide the students with some guided discussion to preface each question.
The goal of this assignment should be multifaceted:
(1) To inform students that there is a direct correlation between their ability to engage with material and their future success as scholars
(2) To help students determine their own academic maturity as a way to aid them in becoming scholars, logicians, and writers
(3) To help students see the range of, and possible growth options along the continuum of, understanding these concepts. They may not realize the significance of understanding how to think.